Monday 18 October 2010

Whats the smartphone for you?

For a while now its been the war between Apple and Blackberry in the world of smartphones. The iPhone 3gs or the Bold. Its been the real debate. But now there are a lot more smartphones and android based phones that could become big things. So here I'm going to list the big smartphones/companies that have produced some pretty good devices and some pretty average devices.

6. Samsung/Vodafone. Although the Samsung Galaxy S is pretty classy, its got a great display and of course, theres a lot to do with it. However, they shot them selves in the leg with the H1. Although you could argue its the fault of the Vodafone 360 software, I think Samsung could have designed the phone a lot better. Although I have never owned it, I often use my friends quite often. He really hates it. He has had it for about 6 months and now when I use it, it is the slowest piece of junk I have ever used. Being a good friend, I like to try and read through his texts, however I find it impossible using this device. I click on one message and it takes about 10 seconds to open. By then he has noticed what I'm doing. Plus its such a complicated and boring phone to use. I'm going to blame this on Vodafone. The homepage is a fail, its trying to copy the iPhone, however they haven't spaced the icons at all, and its just a mess of icons.  I think if Samsung want to be big in the smartphone business, they need to use there own software for all there phones.



5. Sony Ericsson. I'm a big fan of Sony Ericsson. Before I got my iPhone 2G and before my pre-historic Blackberry, I always used a Sony Ericsson. I've had about 5 in my phone career and they've always been good for what they are. However I have never had a Sony Ericsson smartphone, like the X10, X10 mini pro, or the Vivaz, but now I'm kind of tempted. I've heard pretty good reviews about them, and although I will admit, I don't think they can beat the iPhone or Blackberry yet, I think the software could be developed so that its in with a shot.



4. Google. The Nexus one. It's the only phone Google have ever made, and it could soar to great heights. Its been predicted as the phone that is going to be up there with Apple and Blackberry, and although I don't think The Nexus one quite has the quality yet, I think within years, Google's phones will be up there with the big boys.



3. Apple. The iPhone's. I can see many puzzled faces as people read this, and before I owned one I think I would have looked puzzled, however I just don't like them. They don't seem new any more, the iPhone 4 has some new features, all the models just get new features, however there's no dramatic changes. If Apple are to stay in the top 2, I think they need to completely create new software or create a new dramatic change for the iPhone 5.



2. HTC. I know, I know, people are going to think I'm mad. But theres just something so sexy and sleek about HTC's. I am a big fan of apple. I would never use a Microsoft computer or laptop, however on a phone, it just seems so fancy and cool. The way it is so much like a tablet computer condensed into a phone is just so WOW factor. When Apple decided to create the iPhone, they used a completely different idea than there computers. And for a while I guess I liked it, but its been almost 4 years now since the first one and there's been no change. Anyway, the HTC has such a great interface and look to it. Its graphically beautiful. One other thing that I think makes the HTC win is that there's not just one model. Theres the HTC desire, the HTC touch, the HTC smart, the HTC HD. I could keep going. HTC has changed there interface throughout the years so all of the phones are different. There a huge choice and if you don't like one HTC you can always try another. Thats my reasoning for putting HTC in second spot over the iPhone.


1. Blackberry. I can't deny Blackberry top spot. Its most definitely the coolest and sleekest smartphone, currently, although its not as "fun" as the iPhone, with games and music and blablahblah. However for use as PHONE and a messenger, with some added extras, Blackberry wins 10 times over. Its fast, easy and most have a v. good keyboard. (beats iPhone there easily) BBM is probably the best software for teens and even adults to message each other. Although I don't have a Blackberry currently, I had a very very old buisness one recently which I loved, it had no features of internet or BBM, but it had a sweet qwerty keyboard, which I loved to text with. I sold it for my iPhone and in many ways I wish I hadn't. When I use my friends Blackberry's I just want one. I fall in love after using one for even a minute. I think Blackberry, currently, rightfully deserves the top spot but who knows how long it will stay there.

3 comments:

  1. Very well done entry! It's very informative, but at the same time opinionated, and it's definitely something that draws interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good post hamish!! I actually hadn't heard of most of these phones before, especially the Google Nexus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a very detailed analysis of the smartphones, Hamish.
    Although I hardly know much about each of these phones, I found your blog entry really interesting. I have some comments and questions about them.
    6. Samsung/Vodafone. I know how it feels to use a really slow phone. I even get annoyed when it takes so much time for my computer to load things. I think I won’t be able to bear waiting for 10 seconds to open 1 message. I felt that Samsung and Vodafone should fix the problem of the time-consuming device and rearrange the icons so that they wouldn’t confuse the users and make them feel irritated.
    4. Google. Why do you think that Nexus was predicted as the phone to become popular as Apple and Blackberry in the future? (What makes people feel that Nexus would become that popular?)
    3. Apple. I see your point. People do get bored without dramatic changes because they tend to like things that are new and fresh. I hope Apple would be able to come up with something new, so that it wouldn’t bore you anymore!
    2. HTC. I think that the fact that the HTC is graphically beautiful is a key factor, because if people feel it’s nice and pretty every time they look at them, that would mean they would want to use it more often (maybe). I agree with you that it’s a great strength how having a variety of models would allow customers to pick the one of their choice.
    1. Blackberry. Even though it doesn’t have fun games and music compared with iPhone, I think it’s great enough if they are fast, simple, and with a nice keyboard.

    ReplyDelete